April 14, 2021 7:30PM
Reel Talks: My Big Fat Greek Wedding with Mamiko Reeves
MATRIX:MIDLAND enriches lives through the celebration of art, science and the humanities. Presenting fresh ideas that are both inspiring and thought provoking. In that spirit we are introducing MATRIX: VIRTUAL Cinema Discussions. With discussions occurring every other week, be ready to dive right in at 7:30 PM. The event is free but registration is required.
Wednesday, April 14, 2021 | 7:30 PM
Rated PG; 1 hour 35 min
Title: My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)
Hosted by: Mamiko Reeves
About Mamiko: Mamiko Reeves was born in Nagoya, Japan and earned a B.A. in Communications at Nanzan University (Nagoya), a M.A. from Central Michigan University in Counseling and Ed.D from Northeastern University in Organizational Leadership. Mamiko serves as the Assistant Vice President and Dean of International Programs at Northwood University. She has a passion for global education and providing cross-cultural opportunities for students, faculty and staff. She has launched an international job shadow event in collaboration with the Midland Area Community Foundation and Midland Chamber of Commerce. Mamiko is also a former marathon runner, triathlete and spinning instructor.
Why she selected this film: Going through cross-cultural marriage myself, I experienced many comical cultural clashes. I thought this movie would be a good catalyst to discuss impact of family rituals, values, traditions as blended families or mixed race or cross-cultural marriages become more common.
Questions to consider while watching:
1. What are some of the family traditions and rituals that were unique to your family of origin?
2. Think of examples when your family/personal values clashed while dating or during your marriage?
3. How could we resolve conflict when two parties come from very different family & cultural background?
Here’s how you can be a part of the discussion:
- This is NOT a Live Stream viewing of the film. The film can be found on Amazon Prime, Google Play, and YouTube . Watch the film on your own time, at your pace, prior to our discussion on April 14.
- Register for the discussion(s) you would like to join. The event is free but registration is required. The registration deadline is 7 PM on the day of the discussion.
- Connect with people from around the region and enjoy some Reel Talk!
Registration will close at 7 PM on Wednesday, April 14. The Zoom connection link will be sent to the registrants by 7:15 PM that evening, for the discussion to begin promptly at 7:30 PM.
Please select the number you wish to register from the drop down below, and click "Add to Cart" to begin the registration process.
If you find this message in error, please check your reservation request and try again.