March 10, 2021 7:30PM
Reel Talks: The Music Man & Sweeney Todd
MATRIX:MIDLAND enriches lives through the celebration of art, science and the humanities. Presenting fresh ideas that are both inspiring and thought provoking. In that spirit we are introducing MATRIX: VIRTUAL Cinema Discussions. With discussions occurring every other week, be ready to dive right in at 7:30 PM. The event is free but registration is required.
Wednesday, March 10, 2021 | 7:30 PM
Hosted by: Jim Hohmeyer, with Micah Young
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), rated R, 1 hour 56 min
The Music Man (1962), rated G, 2 hours 31 min
Why Jim selected these films:
The transformation of musicals into film can be seen and heard in comparing and contrasting the two films of The Music Man and Sweeney Todd. Both films have common themes - and also radically different subject matter. I will share some of the behind the scenes stories of The Music Man (as told by Shirley Jones) as well as Sondheim's radical approach to the musical Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
Questions to consider while watching:
1. In watching the two films, what stands out as a stark contrast in the texture of the film and the setting?
2. Do you think the films are based on historical fact or are they pure fiction?
Here’s how you can be a part of the discussion:
- This is NOT a Live Stream viewing of the film. Watch the film on your own time, at your pace, prior to our discussion on March 16.
- Find the films on these platforms:
- Register for the discussion(s) you would like to join. The event is free but registration is required. The registration deadline is 7 PM on the day of the discussion.
- Connect with people from around the region and enjoy some Reel Talk!
Registration will close at 7 PM on Wednesday, March 10. The Zoom connection link will be sent to the registrants by 7:15 PM that evening, for the discussion to begin promptly at 7:30 PM.
Please select the number you wish to register from the drop down below, and click "Add to Cart" to begin the registration process.
If you find this message in error, please check your reservation request and try again.