December 16, 2020 7:30PM
Reel Talks: Mulan with Joy Yang Jiao
MATRIX:MIDLAND enriches lives through the celebration of art, science and the humanities. Presenting fresh ideas that are both inspiring and thought provoking. In that spirit we are introducing MATRIX: VIRTUAL Cinema Discussions. With discussions occurring every other week, be ready to dive right in at 7:30 PM. The event is free but registration is required.
Wednesday, December 16, 2020 | 7:30 PM
Rated PG-13; 1 hour 55 min
Title: Mulan (2020)
Hosted by: Joy Yang Jiao
About Joy: Dr. Jiao is a media scholar from University of Illinois, researching international communication, public diplomacy and nation-branding. She worked for a number of international organizations including the United Nations. She is happy to share how popular media shape what we think of other cultures, as we are all "mediated beings".
Why she selected this film: Mulan, a Chinese legend from over 1700 years ago, has been favoured twice by Disney (animated film in 1998, life-action film in 2020). Often respected as the world’s earliest call for gender-liberation and feminism, Mulan transcended her historic and geographic boundaries to become a popular figure among modern-day audience all over the world. But how much do we really know about the actual story, along with its historical and contemporary implications? There are so much more to contextualize beyond the scenes, on the topics of equality, gender, tradition, and how an ancient legend being repeatedly packaged and sold by one of the biggest media conglomerates.
Questions to consider while watching:
1. How does Mulan differ from the quintessential “happily ever after” Disney traditions?
2. Why is this ancient tale of a “rebel” still inspirational among our generation?
3. When Disney retells stories from non-Western cultures (Mulan, Aladdin, Pocahontas, etc), how does it (re)construct these culturally distinctive stories for easier sale in the Western-dominated mediascape?
Here’s how you can be a part of the discussion:
- This is NOT a Live Stream viewing of the film. The film can be found on Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, and Google Play . Watch the film on your own time, at your pace, prior to our discussion on December 16.
- Register for the discussion(s) you would like to join. The event is free but registration is required. The registration deadline is 7 PM on the day of the discussion.
- Connect with people from around the region and enjoy some Reel Talk!
Registration will close at 7 PM on Wednesday, December 16. The Zoom connection link will be sent to the registrants by 7:15 PM that evening, for the discussion to begin promptly at 7:30 PM.
Please select the number you wish to register from the drop down below, and click "Add to Cart" to begin the registration process.
If you find this message in error, please check your reservation request and try again.