November 18, 2020 7:30PM
Reel Talks: Black Panther with Andrew Iwamasa
MATRIX:MIDLAND enriches lives through the celebration of art, science and the humanities. Presenting fresh ideas that are both inspiring and thought provoking. In that spirit we are introducing MATRIX: VIRTUAL Cinema Discussions. With discussions occurring every other week, be ready to dive right in at 7:30 PM. The event is free but registration is required.
After the events of Captain America: Civil War, Prince T'Challa returns home to the reclusive, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to serve as his country's new king. However, T'Challa soon finds that he is challenged for the throne from factions within his own country. When two foes conspire to destroy Wakanda, the hero known as Black Panther must team up with C.I.A. agent Everett K. Ross and members of the Dora Milaje, Wakandan special forces, to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 | 7:30 PM
Rated PG-13; 2 hours 14 min
Title: Black Panther (2018)
Hosted by: Andrew Iwamasa with Collector's Corner Inc
About Andrew: Andrew has been a fan of comics since childhood, where the art and stories transported him to other worlds, and for 26 years as owner of Collector’s Corner Inc. Seeing the comic industry become mainstream, and helping
create the local comic community, has been a dream come true for him.
Why Andrew selected this film: Not only is this a great way to celebrate the life of Chadwick Boseman, but to be able to see the Marvel Universe bring the Black community alive for those of us that haven’t lived in it was not only beautiful, inspiring and entertaining but also much needed especially in this day and age.
Questions to consider while watching:
1. Did the characters come to life from the pages to film for you and did they surprise you in any way?
2. Did the film's culture feel authentic to you? Why/why not?
3. Without being too political, how does the film fit with the state of our nation today?
4. Did the characters come to life from the pages to film for you and did they surprise you in any way?
Here’s how you can be a part of the discussion:
- This is NOT a Live Stream viewing of the film. The film can be found on Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, YouTube and Google Play . Watch the film on your own time, at your pace, prior to our discussion on November 18.
- Register for the discussion(s) you would like to join. The event is free but registration is required. The registration deadline is 7 PM on the day of the discussion.
- Connect with people from around the region and enjoy some Reel Talk!
Registration will close at 7 PM on Wednesday, November 18. The Zoom link will be sent to the registrants by 7:15 PM that evening, for the discussion to begin promptly at 7:30 PM.
Please select the number you wish to register from the drop down below, and click "Add to Cart" to begin the registration process.
If you find this message in error, please check your reservation request and try again.